For this Monday’s writing related post I wanted to write about one of my favourite authors of all time… Octavia Butler.
Butler has been on my list of faves since I came across her obituary in the NY Times while I was in college. I was surprised to learn that there was an African American female science fiction author. I’ve always enjoyed sci-fi and was thrilled to find out about her. That very same day I visited the nearest Barnes & Noble to find her books. I’ve read just about all of her work that I can find. Lillith’s Brood and Fledgling are two of my favourites.
If I could spend 15 minutes with Octavia Butler…I’d ask:
- What sparks her story ideas?
- Does she let a story ripen for months and years before attempting to write?
- Was she a pantser?
- The only story she has that I’ve never managed to complete is Bloodchild. It freaks me out. What sort of things inspire stories like those?
- Do you think that african american/black authors have come far in the science fiction genre?
- What was her writing space like?
- What advice would she have for her younger self about writing and would she change anything about her journey to becoming a published author?
If you could spend some time with anyone famous who would it be?